Google Translate API and Serbian Latin script

Hi there,

In Serbia we are using 2 scripts side by side - Cyrillic and Latin script.

I am heaving an issue with translation to Serbian Latin.
By default Google translate offer translation to Serbian Cyrillic , but bellow that default translation there is a translation to Serbian Latin.
Take a look at this example:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=en&tl=sr&text=Hello%20world!&op=translate

I have found this post from early 2019.
https://support.google.com/translate/thread/1836538?hl=en

Like in that post my question is the same:
I need it to support Serbian Latin, for some projects I don`t use the Cyrillic script. Also there is a problem with translating pages or similar plugins, e.g.: Google Language Translator for WordPress and some others CMS system like Kopage you can translate only to Serbian Cyrillic script.

As I found this post on stackoverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73699065/google-cloud-translate-serbian-latin-not-working

It seems, according to the poster of that article, that there was a workaround.
Instead of "sr" ISO-639 code you can put "sr_Latn" - and you will get translation into Serbian Latin script.
But that workaround stop working several weeks ago - according to the poster.

Is there a workaround to translate into Serbian Latin characters rather into Serbian Cyrillic characters?

Regards,
Branislav

Solved Solved
0 4 14K
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

It appears that translation to the Serbian Latin Alphabet is not officially supported by the Cloud Translate API, as discussed in this recent issue. Therefore it’s not assured that any possible workaround will be functional or reliable. You can see the list of supported language codes for translation here.

You can, however, submit a Feature Request to the public Google issue tracker for Cloud Translation API. The higher the number of users who bring attention to this request, the more likely it is for it to be eventually built into the API.

View solution in original post

You can just used a rules-based local library to reliably transliterate the sr-Cyrl that Google produces to sr-Latn.

Google Translate never supported translation to sr-Latn.  The feature you see at translate.google.com and in the mobile app is rules-based transliteration.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

It appears that translation to the Serbian Latin Alphabet is not officially supported by the Cloud Translate API, as discussed in this recent issue. Therefore it’s not assured that any possible workaround will be functional or reliable. You can see the list of supported language codes for translation here.

You can, however, submit a Feature Request to the public Google issue tracker for Cloud Translation API. The higher the number of users who bring attention to this request, the more likely it is for it to be eventually built into the API.

You can just used a rules-based local library to reliably transliterate the sr-Cyrl that Google produces to sr-Latn.

Google Translate never supported translation to sr-Latn.  The feature you see at translate.google.com and in the mobile app is rules-based transliteration.

rwp
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

also on another note, google translate app offers cyrillic keyboard only. i always have to manually add, and switch to serbian latin keyboard upon translating into serbian.

прва опција: укуцај "гоогле транслате" па онда ту ради.

друга опција: стави на хрватски јесик па онда изправи да буде нормални добар Српски.

Лукијан Јовановић