Question regarding Translate API keys

I have a software that translates text messages. Translation API can get expensive so my question is: can I let users provide their own Translate API keys into my software and consume it? And is it also legal/allowed to combine the quota from multiple users into a shared pool?

Thank you

Solved Solved
2 1 444
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @AzizNat

Welcome and thank you for reaching out to our community.

I get that minimizing API cost can be a little challenging but let me share my thoughts around your inquiries.

1. Have your users provide you with their respective API keys are acceptable but you need to ensure security and properly set their expectations.

• These keys are there to keep usage and billing to each individual account, preventing unauthorized utilization and sharing of their resources
  • You need to understand the quotas and limitations associated with each API keys/ accounts and regularly remind them about it as to not exceed usage
  • Make sure that you validate the authenticity of their API keys and protect them from unauthorized access

2. It is basically prohibited under Google's terms of service to combine quota from multiple users into a shared pool as this may misrepresent individual usage or billing.

Adding these documents for your reference.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @AzizNat

Welcome and thank you for reaching out to our community.

I get that minimizing API cost can be a little challenging but let me share my thoughts around your inquiries.

1. Have your users provide you with their respective API keys are acceptable but you need to ensure security and properly set their expectations.

• These keys are there to keep usage and billing to each individual account, preventing unauthorized utilization and sharing of their resources
  • You need to understand the quotas and limitations associated with each API keys/ accounts and regularly remind them about it as to not exceed usage
  • Make sure that you validate the authenticity of their API keys and protect them from unauthorized access

2. It is basically prohibited under Google's terms of service to combine quota from multiple users into a shared pool as this may misrepresent individual usage or billing.

Adding these documents for your reference.