GCS (bucket) backup

Hi, I have a GCS (bucket) of several TB with document archive function.
I need to implement a backup that allows me to have restore points up to N days back.
I'm having doubts about understanding the correct way to backup a bucket.

I tried a few approaches but none convinced me:
- I enabled the "dual region" option but this covers the need for "high availability" rather than backup.
- I have enabled the "versioning" option but this also covers the need for single file restores rather than restores of the entire bucket to N days ago in case of "necessity".
- I tried the Storage Transfer resource but this allows me to keep a second bucket synchronized to the last RUN, I can't get the status of N days ago.

What method should be used?

4 2 98
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @ErroErro,

Currently, there is no feature that allows a backup to restore a bucket to a point in time. However, you can take a look at these following suggestions:

1. You can utilize Storage Transfer Service. Since there is no way for you to get its version based on N days, you can manually backup to a new bucket by running the transfer service once. Cloud Storage doesn't have a limit to the number of buckets you can create, so everytime you want to backup, you can transfer to a new bucket. Then you can use that bucket as a backup.
  2. You can file for a product feature request. Make sure to check if the request already exists, if not, you can file for a feature request.
  3. If the above options don't work, you can contact Google Cloud Support to further look into your case. Hope it helps, thanks!

@Marramirez thanks for the suggestions