URL map best practice?

With simple configurations for regional internal application load balancers, I've seen some cases where people specify the host and path for the domains (URL map), in other cases people just use the "All unmatched (default)".

If the load balancer will only have a single backend in any case, are there any benefits to specifying the host and path in the routing rules (other than I suppose visibility)?

Solved Solved
5 1 116
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @uppsju,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community! 

There are several advantages in configuring URL maps and why it is considered as best practice. Here are some reasons you might find helpful:

1. As you've mentioned, visibility is one of those. It provides you ability to identify the requests that are intended for your backend service.
  2. Control over routing. Configuring URL maps keep your options open for future expansion. it also provide you fine-grained control over your routing.
  3. Scability in your infrastracture. If you need to introduce additional backend service, you can be well prepared to handle these types of new traffic as having a defined routing rules can aid you in this process.
  4. Security. By specifying which requests you are accepting, it would reduce unauthorized access that may reach your backend services.

I hope you find this information insighful.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @uppsju,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community! 

There are several advantages in configuring URL maps and why it is considered as best practice. Here are some reasons you might find helpful:

1. As you've mentioned, visibility is one of those. It provides you ability to identify the requests that are intended for your backend service.
  2. Control over routing. Configuring URL maps keep your options open for future expansion. it also provide you fine-grained control over your routing.
  3. Scability in your infrastracture. If you need to introduce additional backend service, you can be well prepared to handle these types of new traffic as having a defined routing rules can aid you in this process.
  4. Security. By specifying which requests you are accepting, it would reduce unauthorized access that may reach your backend services.

I hope you find this information insighful.