Couldn't Locate User in Admin Console

Hi Everyone,

I was tasked to remove a couple of inactive users within our domain but I couldn't find them under USERS. I thought their email addresses might have not even existed but their email addresses have our domain(username@domain.com)

I can see all people within our organizations, I just couldn't locate these two.

Please help me out. Really appreciate it.

Thank you!

1 14 247
14 REPLIES 14

They are unmanaged users..

Unmanaged users are personal Google accounts that are using your domain, but not part of your Google Workspace - most often created before your organization began using Gmail/Google Workspace.

You don't want unmanaged users, because you don't own any of their data, you can't audit their activity, and you none of your policies apply to them.

To eliminate unmanaged users, you must invite them to join your Google Workspace account. If they refuse, or ignore your invitations, you can force them to rename their accounts.

Hi @christiannewman Thank you for responding. At first I thought this might be the case but the list is empty.

KevinIX_0-1714956628326.png

Did you try sending a query to the API? I've had cases where they don't show up in the GUI, but are unmanaged users. You can use the free an open-source tool GAM for this.

If you invite unmanaged users into your Google Workspace, all their data will be transferred to your Google Workspace.

If you don't care about this, you can simply create them as users in your Google Workspace, at which time their unmanaged accounts will be forced to be renamed using the gtempaccount.com domain.

It's also possible their email address is tied to a visitor sharing session (which hold no data) so creating an account using the same email address is your solution.

The users might be suspended, you would need to switch from active to suspended users in order to see the users that are suspended 

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1110339?hl=en

@SergioAlvarez Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the suspended list has not entries at all, so this is not the case.

Is there a way to see deleted users past the "recently deleted" timeframe?

Here:

christiannewman_0-1715003753354.png

Hi @christiannewman We still couldn't find them and we just passed them off as DELETED users but I still want to be sure. Do all deleted users, regardless of when they were deleted, show under RECENTLY DELETED USERS? Because it's empty right now and I was wondering if there's a way for us to see the deleted users from years back.

Hi Kevin, There is only a 20 day window to restore a user, after that it is deleted for ever 

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1397578?hl=en

Recently deleted are users deleted in the past 20 days.

Beyond that,  you can see which users were deleted (or created, or whatever) in the audit logs which go 6 months back - but you can only see what happened, who did it, and when - you can't restore them from there.

Great! That's all I need...to confirm if these users were actually deleted. So it's under Audit and investigation. Do you know which log events hold the deleted users?

6 months if you are not exporting the logs to BQ, https://support.google.com/a/answer/7061566?hl=en

Unfortunately, we are not exporting those logs. So we might assume that they were deleted for a long time if I wouldn't be able to find them in the audit logs. Do you know which log event holds the deleted users?

@KevinIX they can only be deleted by an admin, so the admin events log