Vacation message only on Mondays?

Hi all:

I know I could do this with cron and a couple of GAM commands, but is there any easier way to set things up so I can have a vacation message sent only on Mondays?

I ask because I’m taking Mondays off this summer, and I’d like to let folks know….

Thanks!

Ian

0 2 501
2 REPLIES 2

FWIW, here's the GAM/cron version I just threw together, would still love to hear if there's something simpler I'm missing:

00 17 * * 5 /home/myuser/bin/gamadv-xtd3/gam user myuser@example.com vacation on startdate `/usr/bin/date +"\%Y-\%m-\%d"` enddate `/usr/bin/date -d "+4 day" +"\%Y-\%m-\%d"` | /usr/bin/mail -s "Weekly vacation message on" myuser@example.com

00 05 * * 2 /home/myuser/bin/gamadv-xtd3/gam user myuser@example.com vacation off | /usr/bin/mail -s "Weekly vacation message off" myuser@example.com

[Edit 2023-06-23 to fix the cron command to set the vacation message because cron  interprets %s as special characters per https://serverfault.com/questions/426748/unexpected-eof-while-looking-for-matching-on-cron-job]

I would vote for this as a Feature Idea!  This would be especially appreciated by the many with a 9/80 work schedule. Could include a Repeat "every other [day of wk]" /Weekly/Custom as is offered in the calendar event setting options.