Migration for the GCP project for GTM and from non-org to org account within GCP

Hi, I have a question regarding the migration for the Google Cloud Platform project for GTM and others from the non-organization account to an organization account within Google Cloud Platform.
I'd like to know if there will be any downtime or disturbance while I move my projects/billing account to an organization account within Google Cloud Platform. Will the app engine still work while I move the project?

Solved Solved
2 1 59
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @UrszulaSury  ,Welcome on Google Cloud Community.

As per documentation "It generally takes less than a minute for the project migration to complete. After migrating a project between organization resources, it may take several minutes to reflect this change in the Google Cloud console" I'm assuming that IT MIGHT BE possible to get short downtime for service like AppEngine or Cloud Run, however I've didn't found any info saying directly about DTs during migrations. 
Also "While the migration will not make direct configuration changes to the project, the change in the resource hierarchy is likely to have an impact on the function of the project and its running services. Inherited policies, such as Identity and Access Management or organization policies, will not migrate with the project during migration. The organization policies and service accounts that are attached directly to the resource will be migrated. This may cause unintended behavior after the migration is complete." 

So my recommendation is to assume that any downtime might occur during migration or after migration.  Also, if you want to migrate project from non-org to org, keep in mind that :
"You can migrate a project that is not associated with an organization resource into an organization resource. However, you can't change it back to No organization using this process. If you have a project that is associated with your organization resource and you want to revert it to No organization, reach out to your Support representative for assistance."

--
cheers,
DamianS
LinkedIn medium.com Cloudskillsboost

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hello @UrszulaSury  ,Welcome on Google Cloud Community.

As per documentation "It generally takes less than a minute for the project migration to complete. After migrating a project between organization resources, it may take several minutes to reflect this change in the Google Cloud console" I'm assuming that IT MIGHT BE possible to get short downtime for service like AppEngine or Cloud Run, however I've didn't found any info saying directly about DTs during migrations. 
Also "While the migration will not make direct configuration changes to the project, the change in the resource hierarchy is likely to have an impact on the function of the project and its running services. Inherited policies, such as Identity and Access Management or organization policies, will not migrate with the project during migration. The organization policies and service accounts that are attached directly to the resource will be migrated. This may cause unintended behavior after the migration is complete." 

So my recommendation is to assume that any downtime might occur during migration or after migration.  Also, if you want to migrate project from non-org to org, keep in mind that :
"You can migrate a project that is not associated with an organization resource into an organization resource. However, you can't change it back to No organization using this process. If you have a project that is associated with your organization resource and you want to revert it to No organization, reach out to your Support representative for assistance."

--
cheers,
DamianS
LinkedIn medium.com Cloudskillsboost

Top Labels in this Space