How to get data on how many times a look/dashboard has been copied?

Is this data available? Specifically for "Embedded users". Right now in the System Activity explores I see data for "usage" and "favorites" among other things but it would be great to see which of our content is the most copied. This would be a really good indicator of what our users find useful.

Solved Solved
0 4 102
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great question!

I'd recommend heading over to the event attribute System Activity explore.

You can filter on the Event Name for the value "copy_dashboard". Then if you also include the Event Attribute Name and the Event Attribute Value, you will see which dashboard was copied. In this screenshot of my testing, I can see that dashboard 100 was copied.

sam8_0-1714416831313.png

If, for example, you wanted to see how many times each dashboard has been copied, you could filter on Event Name for the value "copy_dashboard" and on Event Attribute Name for "dashboard_id", and then select the Event Attribute Value and the Event Count.

sam8_1-1714417074367.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Great question!

I'd recommend heading over to the event attribute System Activity explore.

You can filter on the Event Name for the value "copy_dashboard". Then if you also include the Event Attribute Name and the Event Attribute Value, you will see which dashboard was copied. In this screenshot of my testing, I can see that dashboard 100 was copied.

sam8_0-1714416831313.png

If, for example, you wanted to see how many times each dashboard has been copied, you could filter on Event Name for the value "copy_dashboard" and on Event Attribute Name for "dashboard_id", and then select the Event Attribute Value and the Event Count.

sam8_1-1714417074367.png

I'll try this today and report back. Thank you.

@sam8 Thanks for the help I do think this does the trick.

Quick add on question. I noticed that a certain dashboard_id (event attribute) value appears in my Event Attribute explore but not in my Dashboard explore. I checked the id in the UI and it *is* a real dashboard. It just doesn't seem to appear in my dashboard explore.

This is a blank dashboard we keep available to our embedded users to make it easy for them to copy a blank dashboard (because embedded users don't have a simple "new dashboard") to start with an empty canvas. Could the fact that the dashboard is blank cause it to not appear in certain explores?

******Edit: I checked the SQL query and it does seem that the dashboard module is based on the dashboard component table and only later joins dashboards. So it does seem that's the reason for this. Is there any way to get dashboard data without going through the component table first?

jbernal_0-1714661692617.png

Good catch! 

The dashboard explore is the only way I know of to get dashboard data. I didn't know it started from dashboard components, that's fascinating. I guess it only causes problems in very specific situations! 

Top Labels in this Space